Saturday, October 28, 2006

Legend departs!

I remember watching the first race when I was about 12. A season which saw fierce competition between Hill and Schumi and at the end Schumi controversially coliding with Hill, to win the championship. This disgraceful act, instantly made me hate Schumi.
After that incident, there have been many more, where Schumi and Ferrari have brought the sport down, by winning thru means of cheat. My perspective has always been that sport is bigger than the sportsman. A sport should be played with utmost sportsmanship. Through the course of time, I have been an avid follower of the sport and has become a part of my life. I have cheered for Williams, when they had the best package with Villeneuve and Hill, Mclaren with Hakkinen and Kimi. A team competiting against Schumi.
This season for a change, my team Mclaren, dint put a good display. As the season approached the end, it looked like Alonso and Renault taking the honors, we saw something unbelievable. In a matter of a couple of months, Schumi reduced Alonso's 25 point lead to 0, which made Alonso crib and cringe. The way Schumi drove, should have impressed one and all. It was pure driving elegance, a skill that he has honed quite immaculately. Suddenly I have developed a sense of respect for him.
Whatever the final result of this year’s championship, Michael leaves Formula 1 holding almost all the records. He has taken seven Drivers’ world titles. Schumacher has been with Scuderia Ferrari for eleven seasons, a demonstration of loyalty without equal in Formula 1, to date securing five of his Drivers’ titles here and contributing to six of the team’s Constructors’ titles.
F1 will miss the legend. I hope he contributes to the team from outside, support Kimi and Massa in the coming seasons. Good luck to him!

No comments: