Friday, May 19, 2006

Da Vinci Code - Who cares!! :p

I have always hated the idea of censorship. Like once Aamir Khan said, 'In an ideal world there should not be censorship, cos this world is not ideal so theatre will have censorship'. Da Vinci Code- a fantastic book (As people told me, I read the first page and got bored, never tried to read it again :p), is an international book-seller (how can someone fool so many ppl - it has to have something in it). A movie I cant wait to watch (Tom Hanks) and all we're getting from these so called beaureaucrats is this "We need to see it first before the film can release" - simply nonsense. I mean really who died and made them the saviours of the world.

And looks like our tolerance levels are just dropping by the day. Water, Fire, earth every time an issue is raised there are some "event managers" who're just not willing to let a new perspective shine thru. Riots, protests - why cant we just come to terms with the fact that some people might just think different from the way we do - Is that really so difficult? Another question which rises in my mind, are Indian christians bigger christians than the west? Should vatican be moved to somewhere in Kerela or rather Goa (I dunno where the pope in India sits - my appologies)?

Such a cliche' I realise but "The Earth is Flat" story. Are we really as closed minded to not see another perspective? Or worse are we so weak that we're not able convince them that they might not want to see something new but some of us do.

I want watch this film. I wanna know what it is all about, what I have missed by not reading the book (like I did when Harry Potter came, when LOTR came - I never read them, but watched the movie). Like Ron howard says if you think it's going to hurt your sentiment dont watch it, why dun ppl understand that? I hear some of them saying that India is secular country and ppl have right to protest, but I also know that there is freedom of speech and media.

But lets get rid of this black blanket strategy of ours and understand that no one can shove anything down our throats if we dont want to savour it, just because you watch something, see something and listen to something dosnt mean you have to buy the idea? On the hindsight it gives you a chance to understand that you have the power to have a perspective. How are you supposed to break out of that shell, if you never see another side? How can you have make choices, if you have nothing to choose from?

6 comments:

M Shasur said...

Who are we to rank what is sensitive and what is not? A film is a film and nothing more than that. If Da Vinci Code has a fiction tag on it, why not the StarWars and Jurasicc Park. The fiction tag totally undermines human ability to distinguish a fact and a fiction.

Anu said...

I loved the book and cant wait to watch the movie. Im glad Indian censor board has cleard the movie.

Ashu Gupta said...

Nice post!
this issue is overheated I guess..let the viewers decide what they want and what they not...

Anonymous said...

Its awesome all of the time to view how folks can compose wonderful stuff about people topics! Thank you and I ve bookmarked you

Anonymous said...

some genuinely interesting points you have written.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://mariana-cordoba.livejournal.com/]www.mariana-cordoba.livejournal.com[/url]